MONTREAL, Quebec (Dec 4, 2014) : EDF Renewables Inc., a subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles Group and Énergie du Granit, today celebrated the completion of the Le Granit Wind Project. Located on the lands of the municipality of Saint-Robert-Bellarmin, in the RCM (Regional County Municipality) of Le Granit, administrative region of Estrie, the project exemplifies the importance of collaboration and support of local communities in the successful development and implementation of wind energy projects. RCM Le Granit and EDF Renewables officials were joined by 80 guests to mark the commissioning and commercial operation.
Énergie du Granit Inc. owns 30% of the project while EDF Renewables holds the remaining 70%. Consisting of 12 turbines supplied by Senvion, the project employed more than 100 persons during the peak construction phase. Electricity generated is delivered to Hydro-Quebec Distribution under a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement.
“In addition to the electricity generation’s revenues shared with Énergie Du Granit, an annual financial contribution of $61,500 will be paid to the municipality of Saint-Robert-Bellarmin during the 20 years of operation of the wind farm. Énergie du Granite, a company 100% owned by the RCM of Le Granit, will finally see the results of its participation”, commented André St-Marseille, President of Énergie du Granit. “Since the beginning of our partnership with EDF Energies Nouvelles, a climate of collaboration and trust has been set up. The result of this relationship is a well-integrated wind farm in our region and will generate significant economic benefits for our development.”
“We offer our sincere thanks to the outstanding efforts of the development, construction and commissioning teams which took up the challenge and delivered the project on time and within budget with about 100,000 hours of work,” said Al Kurzenhauser, Chief Operating Officer of EDF Renewables. “In addition, we acknowledge the participation and the outstanding efforts of our partner, Énergie du Granit, who brought us proof of confidence from the start of this adventure.”
Le Granit is one of seven wind energy projects awarded to EDF Renewables in 2008 and 2010 through Hydro-Quebec Distribution call for tenders. It also represents the third project developed by EDF Renewables to be held in partnership with a MRC, the other two wind projects being La Mitis (24.6 MW) and Lac Alfred (300 MW). By the end of 2015, EDF Renewables will have placed into service 1,374 MW of wind and solar projects in Canada.